Pages

Friday, November 2, 2012

Musings from the early voting line

I know, I know... I don't post in weeks and then you get this? My apologies friends!

Since I've been standing in the early voting line for an hour and have about as long to go still, I figured I would try to entertain myself while I was standing here.

Here's what I've learned so far:
Having only one early voting location for an entire large county is a bad idea.

Thinking I could get in and get out on my lunch hour was also a bad idea. Doesn't anybody work on Fridays?

People are voting. Lots of people. Old people, young people, white people, black people, white collar and blue...they are all voting. Here. Today.

In making small talk, most people seem to be voting early because they just want to be done with the whole political circus. We all agree there should be an opt out for all political commercials as a reward for voting early. Somebody work on that!

I should have eaten before I came to vote. If I pass out and get carried out on a stretcher before I get to cast my ballot, I'm going to be pissed!

Voting is important. Even if you're not being fought over in a swing state.

So as I turn another corner in this seemingly endless winding line to voting machines, I hope I've done enough homework, weighed my options careful, and make the best decision possible given the options.


14 comments:

  1. Oh if only it were that easy! My state has pretty specific criteria for handing out a mail in ballot, otherwise I would have been all over it, trust me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too bad. I even drove mine to a curbside hand off. It was nice and easy this year. I get payback coming up though - I have to go to the DMV. Rut row.

      Delete
    2. I have a DMV trip in my future as well. We can make appointments online now and much to my surprise, the last time I needed to go and set an appointment, I was in and out in 15 minutes flat. Not too shabby by DMV standards!

      Delete
  2. DANG that sucks. I cast my ballot last week and I was in and out in less than 5 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that would have been sweet, 5 minutes?? You are lucky girl. Either that, you have a bunch of slackers in your precinct!

      Delete
  3. I early voted last week. The lines were long but ran pretty quickly. It took me longer to find a parking space than it did for me to stand in line and vote. I've felt really good, the warm and fuzzy feeling, good. It makes me proud to be an American who not only exercised her right to vote, but watched as so many others followed suit. Things have just got to turn around for our country, they just have to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I felt the same way! Very encouraged to see so many people engaged and eager to vote, regardless of where they stand on the issues, at least they are taking the time and effort to have their opinion counted!

      Delete
  4. You guys have early voting?! Do I? I MUST INVESTIGATE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's good. Although I think this year I would probably have gotten through the line at my smaller precinct on election day vs. the whole county in one place for early voting. Note to self...

      Delete
  5. I'm with Nicki! had I known about this I would have done it. I thought it was just mail-in ballots for people who were going to be away during official voting time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That might be the case for your state Michael. Most states do mail in ballots for certain circumstances, and some early voting that is open to everyone. Either way, get out there and get your vote on girl!!

      Delete
  6. At least you learnt while you were standing in line :) Shouldn't we be able to online vote by now? Use our fingerprints or something? It is heartwarming to know so many voted. We've got 2 years before we can vote to change our very corrupt and criminal President here in SA. As a Brit, I can't vote but watch me nagging everybody else to :)

    ReplyDelete

I like attention, so give me some please!