Pages

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

More words, More letters

I told you all how I was going to start writing letters. Real letters. Pen to paper and mailed with a stamp letters. And believe it or not, I actually did. And still am.

Since my first letter went out, I have sent several more. Not one a week as I originally was going to. Sometimes I'm just not feeling compelled in my heart to put words out. Some weeks, it's more than one.

It just depends. I am writing when I have something to say. Much like this little RG space. You get my words when I have something to say, but I won't force them or fake it. Just not my style!

One of my recent letters went to my best friend, who mid-vacation, found herself engaged to her most amazing boyfriend of over two years. This was definitely letter-worthy!

She and I have been through the worst together. Our marriages broke up within 2 months of each other and all the unpleasant things that come with such an occasion, such as uncovering affairs and fighting over children and stressing over money, were shared between us. It's a powerful way to bond. But so is celebrating the joys that come after. Sure, we had more than our fair share of shenanigans together in the in between times, but this latest news is truly to be celebrated.

So she got a letter. Based on nothing more than her text to me in the middle of the night that told me I was right, they were engaged (I had predicted just such a thing happening after seeing them together on a recent visit and warned her it was coming SOON!) I woke up that morning, read that text, and instantly had so many words to share with her, the letter came quickly and easily and off in the mail it went.

I think it's important to share your words not just in times of hardship and strife, but also in times of good news, new beginnings, and celebrations. If misery loves company, than a good party not only loves company, but it invites over often, makes up the spare room, and invites it stay for a good long while.

Do you have a celebration to share in? Congratulations to send to someone? Get our your pen and paper and get in on it!



6 comments:

  1. That's awesome that you were right and she had such great news. I'm sure your letter will be icing on the cake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo, you're Psychic :) Such a lovely idea, makes me feel bad I haven't written a letter in years. My bessie friend and I wrote 'a correspondence' to each other for years though, I still have all her letters and she still has all mine. When we're old ladies, we plan to sit and read them to each other and giggle at our youth and stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so great. One of the downfalls of modern technology is that letter writing is a dying art.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, I want an old fashioned penpal now... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love penpals and have a whole box of "thinking of you" "friends" "thank you" "Miss you" cards that I send out at random to cheer people up. Getting a card/letter is SO nice. I said it before but I will say it again...LOVE this idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's really great! Congratulations to your friend. I love writing letters, I think I've mentioned that before. Good for you for sticking to it!

    ReplyDelete

I like attention, so give me some please!