Pages

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Old enough to know better, young enough to still try to get away with it

That's right kids, it's my birthday.

Normally I would sulk around, look for newly-formed laugh lines, and try to just make it through the day without feeling like more of my "best days" have passed me by.

Not this year.

Nope.

Not even close!

I'm stoked! Like "super happy to be alive" stoked. I woke up today with a renewed sense of gratitude and thankfulness in my heart. I made it another year. And it was full of awesomeness and suckiness and whole lot of in between. But it was my year. And I want another. And another one after that...and lots more after that.

Maybe I'm greedy, but I want as much life as I can get.

When I went into the Princess's room this morning to wake her up for school, she said "happy birthday mama!" before her eyes were even open. When she was slightly more awake, she squeeked out "Happy Birthday" in her sweetest, raspy, sleeping little girl voice and it absolutely confirmed to me that beyond any doubt I am lucky to be seeing another birthday.

So today I will not complain about getting older or worry about wrinkles or question where I am at this point in my life. Nope. Today I am going to smile, say thank you, and be glad to have this day.



And because it wouldn't be a RG post without some ridiculous song choice to ruin the sappy sentimentality of the gooey words above, I'm going to be pimpin' today out with a little 50 Cent....because he sings "Go Shawty, it's your birfday" while hanging upside down and flexing his abs. This is the gift I give myself today.

Ok and I have to throw this in because one my friends just sent it to me and it has kittens playing guitars, kangaroos, nuns, and a dancing baby.... too funny not to share! 


21 comments:

  1. "Go shawty!" Happy birthday! Enjoy your day, and wishing you many great years ahead.

    I love a good ridiculous song to groove to. My guilty pleasure is "Apple Bottom jeans, boots wit da ferrrrr...." haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I personally think laugh lines and crows feet are beautiful. It means you smile, and often. I have a print hanging of things "a woman should..." at the end it says "see a wrinkle and be reminded of her beauty, not her age"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday! May you be blessed with a year full of incredible sex, tons of laughter, and prosperity! Now go have some cake, a cocktail, and a hell of a day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday Sweetie!! You have got the right attitude for sure. Enjoy it all and look for all the future birthdays with everything in between! Love that the little one made your day! Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy, Happy birthday baaaaby. Hope it is all you desire and so much more. P.S.- I can totally see you with a puppy named Peyton!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. happiest birthday wishes to you darlin! what a wonderful outlook you have! i hope to remember it next week on my birthday - i've already cried over not being IDed the last few times I was out so it's safe to say my outlook is not as positive as yours. but you're inspiring me! :) have a wonderful day and may your every birthday wish come true! xox

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enjoy your birthday, indeed. I wish more people saw them in this fashion.

    Based on what I read here, your whole approach to life is young, which undoubtedly will keep you young for quite a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome attitude!!!! Rock your birthday girl and let everyone share in your bright spirit!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday to You! Happy Birthday to You! Happy Birthday RG! Happy Birthday to youuu. And many more! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy sweet 16!

    Plus, you know, a few extra for luck!

    Go drink some bacardi!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy birthday! Party like it's 1999...again

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy birthday! Glad to see you're enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Happy Happy Birthday!!! Hope it was a fabulous one!

    ReplyDelete
  14. happy birf day! get drunk slam bitches :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'll say it again...Happy Birthday! :) Hope it was a great day...but I hear there was tequila and a sombrero so how can that ever be a bad day!? lol

    ReplyDelete
  16. I loved the title of this post--and your positive attitude. I hope I feel that way about my birthdays someday.

    Happy belated birthday. Hope you rocked it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. WE GON' PARTY LIKE ITS YOUR BIRFDAY!

    I know your bday was amazing..but...since I didn't say it yesterday on your blog...HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Tequila is ALWAYS my weapon of choice on my birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good for you! LOVE the song choice!!!! Hope you had a great time

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy birthday! Love your new take on getting older.

    On the birthday when I realized I had lived longer than either of my parents had, I developed a whole new appreciation for life and, yes, even for getting older. It sure as hell beats the alternative!

    ReplyDelete

I like attention, so give me some please!