Pages

Monday, March 19, 2012

My own March Madness: Welcome to the Rec League

If you're reading this, it must mean that you survived the St. Patty's day shenanigans and are almost functioning at normal levels again. To that I say congratulations and well done! I was disappointed to only see one leprechaun on Saturday and considering that he was way bigger than me, I didn't bother looking for his pot of gold because I'm pretty sure he was a fake. 

Amid a gorgeous weekend complete with my first sunburn from clocking time on the tennis court and several bike trails, lots and lots of college basketball (congrats to OSU on a stellar win against Gonzaga btw), and a solid nap, this weekend brought with it a different kind of March Madness for me. It's the best kind in my opinion. I am back on the hot & frequent sex program with the Twin. Don't judge. 

This time is different. We are playing by "Rec League" rules. For those of you not familiar with the term, Rec League (short for recreation league) offers all the benefits without any of the expectations or drudgery that comes with a relationship. Rec league is just that....playing strictly for fun. 

Now some of you may be wondering how this came about. Not surprisingly,  I instigated this situation on Friday. All it took was one suggestive text and it was game on. I decided it was a "drinks on a patio somewhere followed by drunk sex" kind of night. He concurred and countered with "I have a balcony was a spectacular view and lots of alcohol". We were on the same page. He cooked dinner, we had drinks and a hot make out on his balcony (he really does have a great view of the city from there) and then proceeded with the drunk sex portion of the evening. 

Let me be clear, this is not a make up or reconciliation. We are not a couple. Although Friday night turned into a repeat on Saturday night, followed by Sunday morning and afternoon so it kind of turned into a weekend thing by default. Normally that would be against rec league rules but since it was our inaugural weekend, we decided it was OK to get in a couple of two-a-days (4-a-days, you know, whatever) and consider it conditioning.  

Rec League comes with its own set of rules. There has to be some guidelines in place to keeps things from getting too complicated if you are planning on going a full season. Different people have different rules but this is what Twin and I have come up for ours at this point. 

1. The first rule of rec league is that you don't talk about rec league (come on, you had to see the Fight Club reference coming...)
2. There is no cuddling in rec league (this is for him, not me. He is a huge cuddler and I don't want to be touched when I am sleeping so I can finally make a case to shut this down) 
3. Overnights & non-sex having outtings should be the exception, not the rule. Less is more when it comes to spending time together outside of game time. 
4. Unless you are discussing the plan for the next pick up game, no reason to call/text/hang out
5. Don't tell me your schedule or how your day went, I don't care
6. Picking up games with another team is permissible for either of us, we just don't need to share that info 
7. Awards will be given at the end of the season. Exactly what type of award is still being figured out. I think having regularly scheduled good sex with no strings is an award in and of itself so we might just keep it simple. 

Do you have rules for your rec league? Any suggestions of ones that should be added to my list above? I'm always looking for suggestions! 





22 comments:

  1. Oh my God. If you were here..or I were there...I'd be high fiving you right now. You are my hero. How does one join a Rec league anyway?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Virtual high five back at you! As for finding your own rec league to join, it's easier than you think!

      Delete
  2. I am SO living vicariously through you. Married life is so damn boring!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I really liked being married too though. There is something to be said about having a comfort level and familiarity with who you are with. Boring is good sometimes!

      Delete
  3. I usually call this Friends With Benefits (FWB) but the Rec League sounds so much more official. I'm adopting it! I like your rules. They're basic and straight forward. 4 and 5 are definitely important! Game on and play your heart out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is little distinction between rec league and FWB but there are distinctions. I know, this all gets so complicated!

      Delete
  4. I am all for your "rec league" but I hate to be the one that is going to forecast a rain delay.

    From my personal experience you can never truly have a rec league with someone that you've already tried to have a full expansion team with. This being said I hope you enjoy the fun times before he starts negotiating for a paid salary position.

    Wow that was a lot of fun to put all those sports metaphors in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First I must say, bravo sir! You crammed a lot of sports references into your comment. I appreciate that. If he starts negotiating a paid position, I will just have to remind him why he was cut from the team in the first place.

      Delete
  5. As someone with an "Ate It Like a CHAMP" trophy, I understand and approve of the rec league rules.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, you have a trophy for that?? I'm impressed!

      Delete
  6. Number five is awesome. Totally made me laugh.

    You are such a horn dog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I prefer to refer to myself as a pleasure seeker...not a horn dog... but it's the same basic idea!

      Delete
  7. These sound like some solid rules for a FWB thing, and if you're having fun and both parties are chill with it, then I support you completely, my darling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for cheering me on my sweet Kat! Your support is always appreciated!

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Really? I think they are pretty workable.

      Delete
  9. atta girl! have some fun with no messy strings attached ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Is there a tab on craigslist where guys find girls like you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hmmm, I don't know about that. I'm pretty convinced there are only serial killers on craigslist but I could be wrong about that. Let me know what you find out!

      Delete
  11. This is my favorite: "Don't tell me your schedule or how your day went, I don't care."


    SO. IMPORTANT.

    ReplyDelete

I like attention, so give me some please!