Pages

Sunday, December 4, 2011

reverb11 Day 4 - Addition through Subtraction

Yep, even a Sunday post. That's how you know I'm serious about this.

It's day 4 of reverb11: Addition through Subtraction - What have you let go of this year and how has it affected you?


I've given up a few things this year, and dialed back on a few other areas of my shenanigan-filled life, but those things were really neither profound or life changing. They simply were me making a different decision at the time from what I normally would. 


One thing I let go of this year was the excuse that I'm not a writer therefore I shouldn't write. I decided early this year that I was kind of done with that thinking and although I'm still don't consider myself "a writer", I started writing. And I did so with some amount of consistency and with as much honesty as I could muster. I have really loved it and by giving up my excuses and just putting my words out there, I have gained some amazing friends, a few fun writing gigs, and a greater knowledge of who I am and what is important to me. 


I don't have aspiration of getting published and I don't have a desire to write a novel any time soon. I am just feeling fulfilled by sharing my words with my friends, getting my thoughts out there for discussion and in many cases, advice (free therapy??), and hopefully entertaining or helping a few people along the way. It's a pretty simple goal and all it requires is a little bit of my time and a willingness to keep being honest and open. I'm OK with both of those things so I intend to keep at it as long as it continues to be something that enhances my life and doesn't interfere with me actually living it. 


Thank you for reading my craziness and coming back for more. A good adventure is always made better by having great company along for the ride! 







8 comments:

  1. We all have something to express, and I think it's great that you've given yourself permission to write! Happy Reverb-ing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you write. I truly enjoy reading your posts. If it wasn't for your blog I wouldn't have joined Reverb! So thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Writing is good on so many levels. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i feel the same about the "writer" thing. i put all sorts of pressure on myself to be super prolific and professional with everything i wrote, and ended up taking the joy out of writing for a while. as soon as i gave up all my expectations of what a writer should be, i enjoyed writing again :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you write then your are a writer and writting is good therapy.......so keep it up

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't remember life w/o your writing in it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad I stumbled upon your blog. It's now something I look forward to reading and commenting on!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Robin: yes, permission is a good word for it! I'm enjoying reverb11

    @Michael: I'm really glad you keep reading and commenting. Glad you joined reverb11 too!

    OT: That's the plan. I'm giving myself permission to check out for a while if I feel like, and I keep coming back

    @Kage: I feel ya girl! I could so relate to your post recently about just relaxing and writing to be you, not worrying about perfection all the time. It's good stuff and I love when you write!

    @Jo-Anne: funny how that works huh? and as for therapy, it's very useful!

    @Rita: Oh sunshine, you say the sweetest things!

    @Yvonne: I'm glad you hang out at RG! I always love your comments and insight!

    ReplyDelete

I like attention, so give me some please!