Day 9: Disappointment - What was the one disappointment that has turned out to be a blessing in the last 12 months? How will this affect how you deal with disappointment in the future?
One of my goals for this year was to move back to the city I was living in prior to ending up where I am now. I had all the plans in place for a move to, and then it fell apart right before the move was supposed to happen.
For a minute, I let all of the other hopes I had pinned on being contingent on the move happening fall apart too. Luckily I realized that the other things I wanted weren't tied to a new location, they were tied to me having a new perspective on where I was right now. I'm still working on it, but I know it's more about my outlook than the view out my window, at least for the time being.
Day 10: Beauty - Describe a moment of beauty that you witnessed this year.
This year, I have tried to take a moment in each day to find something beautiful. It has come in many forms and some have surprised me. Some days it's something expected like a beautiful sunset or a perfect blue sky. Other days it has been a song with really amazing lyrics that has struck me. Still other days have been the words that other people have shared with me, either in a post, a telephone conversation, or in a book. It's been awesome to realize how much beauty is around me when I really started paying attention to it.
Day 11: What do you wish you had done more of in 2011?
I can honestly say that there are few things that I feel I left undone in 2011. Pretty much everything on my "wish list" has been checked off. If there was one thing I wish I would have done more of though it would probably be to spend more time really talking with my friends face-to-face. I have a few really cherished friends that live too far away to meet for coffee or even do an overnight visit with and I miss seeing their smiling faces dearly! Email is good, the phone serves it's purpose, but being able to see them live and in person just can't be beat!
Day 12: 12 Things - What are 12 things your life doesn’t need in 2012? How will you go about eliminating them? How will getting rid of these 12 things change your life? (Props to original Author: Sam Davidson) If you did Reverb10, how are you making out on your 11 Things from last year?
1. drama with the ex hubs: There has been an uptick in this area since the intro of Twin into the situation. I'm done talking about it, it's not his business.
2. More stuff for my closets, cupboards, storage: I have too much stuff and not enough room. I need to sort, filter, and remove, not replace with more stuff.
3. Caffeine: this is a tough one for me but I have already cut way back on caffeine intake this year and hope to eliminate it all together for next year.
4. Cable news: too much anxiety and depressing news to have in my face all the time. The 24 hour news cycle is highly overrated
5. Politics: this won't be easy with an election year but I think getting rid of #4 will help me keep from getting buried in rhetoric and mud slinging
6. Groupon & Living Social: as much as I love getting a good deal and trying new things, I have spent way too much on things I really don't need just because they are conveniently sent to my inbox each morning
7. Feeling guilty for enjoying myself: enough said. This goes for anything from cupcakes to travel to sex. If I am enjoying myself, I done feeling guilty or second guessing myself.
8. Investing more than I get in return: whether it's relationships with a man, my family, or an organization, I'm doing running myself ragged to please someone when I don't get the same (or any) effort in return.
9. Jealousy: especially when it comes to wanting what other people have because I feel like they are doing it right and I'm behind the curve on something. I'm competitive in the wrong way sometimes. I need to be content with my situation as it is.
I'm going to leave the last 3 open as "TBD" because I'm sure that I will have a few more moments of clarity for items that need to be gone from my life for 2012 between now and the end of the year.