Pages

Thursday, December 22, 2011

Day 22 of #reverb11 - Passion

You have to love the good ol' hypothetical question of "if money didn't matter, how would you spend your time to make the world a better place?" Or at least that's what it usually is, but this prompt doesn't specify that you should use your time in any productive way so that is an interesting twist.

Day 22: Passion - If you could quit your day job and your quality of life wouldn't change, what would you do?


This is actually one of the trickiest prompts yet for me. It seems like an easy enough question at it's core: what do I want to do?  But I really don't know. I gave up the idea of just getting to spend my time however I please quite a long time ago so I don't have a list at the ready. 


I'm sure I could find a worthy cause to throw myself into. I do quite enjoy my long-standing volunteer gig that I squeeze in among my required work now so maybe I would be able to take that to the next level and really invest my time working on that. 


Or I could go the route of doing what I like to, like getting certified to teach yoga classes or some other type of fitness-oriented position. That would kill two birds with one stone, staying in shape while helping other people to adopt a healthier lifestyle at the same time. 


Perhaps I would just spend my time doing something I like to do but isn't really sufficient for supporting myself if money is a question, like running a coffee shop again. In my former life, I had several and really loved being in the shops, getting to know my customers, and helping their days start a little better by getting a great shot of espresso or cup of perfectly brewed coffee. There was just something special about that space and I never got tired of being there. Yes, I think I would quite enjoy going back to that at some point. 

I guess the moral of this story is that I don't have one burning passion that I would pursue with all my heart and soul if I didn't have to worry about doing something just to make money. But the list of things I would enjoy doing? It's pretty long and varied. 





4 comments:

  1. Sometimes it is the small things we wish we could spend more time doing. I don't mean small as in unimportant or trivial. Small as in, like you said, activities not of the burning, life consuming passion variety, but rather the everyday things, (like producing the perfect coffee for a customer) that taken together make for a specific type of life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so overwhelmed with things I'd do if money and time were no object. If only...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think yours in the most honest answer there could be because no matter how much you love doing something, if you did it ALL the time, it would lose some of its luster. Variety is the spice of life, right love?~

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can find no fault with someone who has many passions. Seems like a blessing to me. I hope you find a way to enjoy all of them in one way or another.

    ReplyDelete

I like attention, so give me some please!