Pages

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Day 20 of #reverb11 - Can't we all just be friends?

Today is day 20 of #reverb11. It is also my second day of vacation. I'm bored already. What can I say? I'm one of those weird people that like to work. It makes me feel like I've accomplished something on most days. Most... not all.

Friendship What kind of a friend were you in 2011? What kind of a friend do you want to be in 2012? (Author: @amanda_hirsch )


I'm not sure that this is a question really for me to answer. I would think that answer would be a little more legit coming from those people whose friend I have been this year, they would tell you the truth I'm sure. 


What I can tell you is what I have attempted to do well as a friend this year and what I think I have failed at as a friend this year. 


This year has seen a lot of new friendships form in my life. It has been while since I have made new friends. I have been in the same career for quite a while, still have my life long friends from school that I'm close with, and have a  number of other people that I have had in my life for quite a while. I value all of those friendships and try to maintain and grow them the best I can. 

The excitement of those new friendships has been a nice change of pace for me though. Learning about someone new, being introduced into their life, getting to create new memories and "inside jokes" has really reminded me of how great new friendships can be for my spirit. 

As for what I have not done so well as a friend this year, I wish this there was nothing to mention here.  Unfortunately, that's not the case. I have let a really close friendship all but slide away this year. We were really as close as we could be, surviving some really major hardships, leaning on each other and lifting each other up, allowing each other to be as scandalous as we wanted and never judging each other. 

She was much closer to me than my own sister. But things have changed.  From my perspective, when she found herself happy again and in a good relationship, she no longer needed me. It hurts. But I am happy for her and her happiness and still have nothing but love for her and value the times we do still spend together catching up. 

My hope for me as a friend in 2012 is to remain steadfast to those friends that I have invested in and be open to sharing myself with new friends without reservation. 


6 comments:

  1. I haven't felt like a great friend this year either. I promise, therefore to let my best friend Bryan out of his basement cellar at least twice more this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I rarely make new friends so I felt a little wistful reading about the excitement of getting to know someone new. It sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also have experienced the sadness of a friend becoming "happy" and seeming to no longer need my company as much. You handle it better than I do. I find it troubling when it happens to me. Not that I can do anything about it, of course, but still.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am with you, i feel like this isn't a question for me to answer. It would better be answered by the people I call friends. I may try to answer it but don't imagine I will do as good a job as you have here. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you on the losing a friend. My very best friend of 3 years (instant connection) moved 40 minutes away this fall and never even mentioned it to me. I tried but I fel the drift long coming. Some people are for a reason, some are for a season and some are for a lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are a wonderful friend to me. Thank you for that.

    Sorry to hear about the friendship that is fizzling. Sometimes relationships just run their course.

    ReplyDelete

I like attention, so give me some please!