Pages

Thursday, December 1, 2011

And so it begins: Reverb11 day 1: 1 Word

Every once in a while, I jump into some fun little writing prompt group and have found some of my favorite posts have come from getting a chance to share myself while participating in them, like 30 Days of Shamelessness for instance. I didn't do all 30 days in order or as intended (or at all, I guess I did more like 20 or so) but I wrote and you read and I appreciated that more than you know.

I'm going to end the year in reflection and I'm going to use Reverb11 to do that because from what I hear from my sunshine Rita, it's awesome and I really should get on board. So I am. Here goes.



  • December 1 - One Word.
Encapsulate the year 2011 in one word. Explain why you’re choosing that word. Now, imagine it’s one year from today, what would you like the word to be that captures 2012 for you?
2011: Looking
I have spent most of 2011 looking. Looking for direction, love, adventure... but always looking. Sometimes I would look with intention, with full knowledge that if I found what I was after, I would be taking action on it without question or hesitation. Sometimes I would look passively, more out of curiosity to see what was out there for me or see how someone else was living/loving/making it and just observe from a distance. 
I changed looking to doing in many cases and that enriched my life over the past year in ways I never thought possible. I have met some of the most amazing people and had some fantastic adventures because after I spent time looking and decided I liked what I saw, I quit saying "no" and being practical and started saying "yes" and doing things and meeting people I normally wouldn't because it was inconvenient or I was uncertain or it took effort. I moved excuses out of the way and just did it. And there were some great rewards that came from that. 
I also missed some opportunities because I was complacent and content to just look from afar instead of jumping in and experiencing it firsthand. I am still living in a place I don't love because I was busy looking at other places and deciding it would take too much effort to move myself from point A to point B. I let a friendship grow cold because I was busy looking back on how many great times we had and how close we used to be instead of fostering the relationship that it had evolved to be as our circumstances changed. I am still safely in the career that has become so mundane that it presents no challenge to me now because I have been scared to really go after some of the opportunities I have been satisfied to just look at instead of aggressively pursue. 
As I look forward to 2012 and what I want to be able to claim as my "1 word" at the end of that year, I know for certain that I want to be able to say that I changed "looking" to "moving" during the course of 2012. It's time. 

Thanks in advance for riding along with me for Reverb11. Hopefully you will want to join in the fun as well. Let me know if you do so I can follow your posts daily and show you some love! 



14 comments:

  1. Welcome to Reverb! I think you'll find it to be an amazing experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it... and looking is an excellent word.

    If I had to choose one for my year it would probably be tiring. Although my Lady Friend would probably suggest I choose gassy.

    SD
    www.TheSimpleDude.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to offer my own word for you just because I'm conceited like that and I'm going to go with "growing". I know that I don't have other years to use as a barometer since this is only the first year that I've known you my darling, but I have to say that in this year you have grown a lot.

    When you started your blog (at even another site! how's THAT for growth!) your posts were always fun and entertaining, but they only showcased one side of you. You now seem to be more comfortable with all sides of yourself and what's more, your writing about it has evolved, too.

    This is already getting long, and entering rambling territory, so I'll just close by saying that it's been a wonderful experience to watch you grow this past year my darling RandyGirl.

    I'm very thankful to have met you.~ *MWAH!*

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this idea! I'm hoping to evolve my word into two for 2012: Popping & Locking.

    Like a G6, Like a G6...

    Oh, and if you haven't seen my post today yet, prepare your mind to be BLOWN...


    Today's Post: I Painted a Picture with my Penis, and This is the Result

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes it's difficult to categorize 365 days of busy/crazy/etc. into one word. I think you did a good job. I'm still a relative newbie on your blog but I look forward to "moving" through your posts with you! Reverb11 sounds like it will be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am glad you decided to join the reverb crew, and thoroughly enjoyed this post. I too spent much of this year looking, and found some friends and even lost one or two, but such is the way of life I suppose. Great post, I look forward to reading many more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hear hear! i have to say that this was true of me for 2011 as well, and that i want the same for 2012. less watching and worrying from the sidelines, and more taking chances and actually doing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think we all spend time looking for various and sundry things in life from time to time. It takes some serious courage to get off your seat and move your feet...good on you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @geekin Hard: having fun so far! It's been fun to read so many new people!

    @SD: although I'm sure gassy would apply to you, I can think of some other awesome words for you this year, you did BIG things my friend!

    @rita: Awesome indeed! Good job getting this going this year!

    @my sweek Kat: you really are a doll! thank you for such sweet words my love. You are melting my icy heart! Stop it!!

    @Lost: I think you are well on your way to Poppin and lockin with your epic penis painting my friend!

    @Michael: thanks for the encouragement, I'm glad you are along for the ride!

    @Wow: you know better than anyone than yes is good friend!

    @Jason: thanks for reading, hope you stick around at RG

    @Kage: love you darling! You have certainly "moved" in some big, positive ways this year already. It's nice to have you with me on the adventure!

    @mark: thanks for your support and for reading. Hope you stay and play!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think this looks like SUCH a cool prompt group. Excellent, excellent choice-- looking forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've joined up too - I really enjoyed your reverb posts over the last few days and decided better late than never!

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Nicki: It is indeed a very cool prompt group, I'm having a lot of fun so far!

    @Ixy: Yahoo!! I'm glad you are going to play too! Can't wait to read your posts on it!

    ReplyDelete

I like attention, so give me some please!