Pages

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

More Shamelessness. It includes sweating and failure.

I could really knock out about 5 shameless things from the 30 Days of Shamelessness fun I'm working my way through with this one, but I'll keep it to just 2 so I can torture you as long as possible with this self-absorbed venture. 


For this installment of shamelessness, I'm knocking out #7 and #8. 
7.share your efforts at something you don’t think you do well. 
8. sweat.


These two things can best be summed up for me with one word: running. 


I don't like to run. I am not a happy smiley runner girl. I don't get the "runner's high" while doing it and I don't feel super awesome after I'm done. But I do sweat a lot. 


I'm all about exercise. I can do a body fit class for an hour and love it. I can do yoga for 90 minutes in a 100 degree room with 90% humidity and smile through it. But I loathe running. 


In an attempt to both get better at it and try to teach myself to enjoy it, I am forcing myself to run more often. The best tactic I have found is to hit the park with the princess and let her ride her bike on the trails. I basically have to run to keep up with her and watching her have fun while torturing me gives me something to think about other than how much I don' t like to run. It's not a perfect system but it's working so far. 


Part of the reason I'm finally doing this is because I put it out to Rita and Simple Dude via reply to a challenge post that I wanted to do it by September. And September is damn close. And I am a woman of my word. 


I'm not good at it, I don't like it, and I sweat a lot but at least I'm doing it....or trying.



12 comments:

  1. Well at least you put it out there.

    I don't love running either. It's necessary to lose/maintain weight and balance out sports/weightlifting which I do enjoy.

    Best thing to do is run with someone if you can or find somewhere that's interesting to run like a football stadium track or pretty park

    Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great idea, and I hope you keep going with it. Who knows, you might learn to love it!

    I'm not a big fan of running (or any kind of workout) for the same reasons you don't like to run: I'm not good at it and I sweat waaay too much (and my endurance is embarrassingly low) I only run if the small park by my house is vacant. And I only work out in my house, when no one's around. Or at 2 a.m. Yes, I'm that self-conscious. But you could tell that from reading my blog, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you for at least getting out there and doing it! I used to run, was never good at it, but I did like it. Then rheumatoid arthritis put an end to that. Now I bike, not so hard on the joints. Good luck with your challenge in September.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, but you are really good at running your mouth. And if you sweat a lot, I highly recommend you carry around an odd little dish towel to wipe your brow. It stores handily in your armpit. Be sure to wear a tank top.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, thank god!!! Somebody else who hasn't got a clue as to what a runners high feels like. Shit. I hate running. You know Lisa it's really the best thing for me to Lose weight. If I run fo a month straight I can drop between 10 and 20 pounds. But it ain't no fun. What the he'll is runners high??? Thank you Lisa!

    Dean
    Http://leftcoastguy.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Lance: thanks for the tips. I like my park so that's where I'm probably going to try to keep going. It gets really beautiful in the fall and hopefully that will inspire me!

    @Insomniac: Thanks for the encouragement! As for you, you need to just rock it like you own it my friend. It's a work out, not a popularity contest. Most people would just respect the fact you are putting in the effort to be healthy far quicker than they would judge you for any other factor.

    @Tara: Wow, sorry to hear about your RA. I know that can really be a painful thing to overcome. I like to bike as well but getting to the park to do so is taking my life in my own hands with the crazy drivers on the road I can take to get there. I need a bike rack. Christmas ideas anyone?

    @Wow: you are getting punched. And I know you know why. That's all I'm saying about that.

    @LCG: Glad (and sorry) I have company in my mystified state of the fabled runners high. I think it's crap. I wish a month of running would be 10-20 off, I would run more often!! Guys are no fair!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are awesome. I get you don't like it. I get you hate it in fact...and you're doing it anyway. That makes you super amazingly awesome in my books. xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't run well not withoug wetting myself yeah like you needed to know that, I would love to be able to run but at the moment I can often barely walk let alone run..........

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lol... people keep telling me that. I've had a lot of stupid phobias and insecurities about things like this for reasons I won't get into here. But I'm trying to break them, and I appreciate the encouraging words about taking control, choosing to lead, etc..... I'll do my best! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't like to run either, but it's correlated to sexy legs, so...

    a gal's gotta do what she's gotta do.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't run because of the damage in my spine, but I do like the eliptical--as much as I could enjoy any exercise because I HATE sweating. I can't even pretend to be cute and say "except under certain circumstances (wink,wink)" because I don't like sweating even THEN! Good on you for getting out there and doing it, my darling!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's funny, I'm the same way. Put me in a gym and give me any class... I excel. Put me on a track and ask me to run, it's like pulling teeth.

    Maybe I should try your tactic.

    ReplyDelete

I like attention, so give me some please!