Pages

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

You Owe Me - Indie Ink Weekly Challenge

It's another week of the Indie Ink writing challenge. And again, I got a great challenge to work with.

My challenge came from Disease and this is what he gave me to work with: Paying a Sense of Gratitude
I sent mine over to Jules and she killed it! Check it out.

Here is my take on Paying a Sense of Gratitude


You Owe Me.

That was all the note said.

And she was right. I did owe her. But shouldn’t it be my choice to decide when I would pay a sense of gratitude for what she had done for me all of those years ago? I thought that was kind of the point of showing gratitude, that it was something that was done because a person felt compelled to repay the favor, not because it was being demanded of them.

That is where we disagreed. She was coming to collect what she felt was owed to her.

At the time, I was grateful for how she rescued me, took the burden from me. She said I was too young to know better and I was not ready to face the consequences of my actions.

She made a false confession. They believed her anyways. They needed someone to blame, it had to be somebody’s fault. Tragedies like that don’t just happen by accident. Someone had to pay.

She had paid dearly for my stupid mistake. Never once flinching as she faced the scrutiny, the glare of the spotlight on her and her assumed wrongdoings. She remained silent after her confession. They didn’t want or need to hear anything further from her. The verdict was easily achieved and she was sentenced harshly. She never gave me up.

But it was clear now that it was not done purely to save me, but with the expectation that I would be paying her back at the time and in the manner of her choosing.

“You Owe Me” the note said.

Inside the envelope was a picture of a man and an address, nothing else. I knew what she expected me to do.

Gratitude was not enough.



13 comments:

  1. You cannot end it there. I want to know what happens next! Seriously, I really hope you continue this. It's really well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh... I wonder what she did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super Reply to the Challenge. Waiting to hear more of this story Cheers !! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are such a tease!!! Well done!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE it! I absolutely adore writing where the story is told through the subtexts.

    You killed this (hahaha!), love!

    Bravo!

    *mwha!*

    ReplyDelete
  6. the coolest part of what you did is relate to everyperson who has ever felt like that. perfect response.

    like Kitty Kat said, you killed it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Creepy! What could she have possibly done so wrong as a young girl...?! I'm intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dude, really?! End it wherever the hell you like! I love that I'm left to imagine what's about to happen next.

    Nicely done ...

    ReplyDelete

I like attention, so give me some please!