Pages

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

In My Life - Indie Ink Weekly Challenge

It's another great week in the Indie Ink challenge,

This is in response to the challenge I received from Rachel in the OC. The details are listed after my response. I'm interested to hear your thoughts on this one.

In My Life


It’s a long stretch of highway and a lot country road that take me from there to here. Every time I see the sign that tells me I am back here, I get that feeling in the pit of my stomach.  Being back here, in this place where we used to be, brings back so many thoughts, so many moments. A few are good, but most are more painful than should be lived through. I don’t want to be here because I don’t want to have to acknowledge what was once my life, our life.

In many ways, time has stood still in this town. So many things are exactly the same today as they were all those years ago.  Even the people are the same.  How can an entire town just refuse to make progress? They feel no need to adjust and evolve. It’s just how it has always been.  One generation after another, accepting that this how things are and good enough is good enough.

There was one thing that despite the best efforts of everything and everyone around us, did change. That was us. We were supposed to be the ones who made it. We were perfect together. We were going to be the shining light, the couple people envied. We were the ones. You and I, together since we were barely old enough to understand what love was. No one could have known how our story would end.

I forget to breathe as I turn the corner and start down the road where we had lived, where our home had been. My eyes are trained on the horizon as I see the shape come into focus.  The charred shell of that home is still standing.  The siding around the blown out window frames are black with soot. The left side of the roof completely collapsed from the heat of the relentless flames that had burned our lives into ash.

I stop the car and sit there for a long time. I can’t bring myself to get out.  For a moment, I close my eyes and go back to the day we bought this house.  I see us walking together, hand-in-hand, across the sprawling front yard. Smiling because we know that this where our dream begins. There will be kids running up and down that big staircase someday. We will spend our nights on the porch swing, listening to our favorite songs and enjoying the breeze. We will live the life that everyone knows we are meant to have and we will be happy.

I force my eyes open. I can’t do this. Not again. Not today. It is getting late now and tomorrow is a very big day for me. Tomorrow my life begins again.  I just came to say goodbye to the memory of the life we had, the one that burned to the ground and took you with it. I don’t regret a minute of that life, of our love. But, it is time for me to move on.

They said I was the lucky one. I survived the flames. But they were wrong. My life may have carried on, but you died and took my heart with you. My life, and our love, was literally burned to the ground. I never thought I could love again. I didn’t want to. There was nothing to love without you.

But when I least expected it, I realized I could love again. And I need to. He is an amazing man and he loves me and he deserves for me to love him back. He helped me live again. Tomorrow I will marry him and I won’t be coming back here again. So tonight I say goodbye to you, to us, and to the love we used to have.  And I say hello to this new love, the new life I will have, and to what lies ahead.

This Fiction piece is in response to the Indie Ink weekly challenge I received from Rachel in the OC this week.  
Her challenge to me: Take a BEATLES song. Write a story or a memory around it.


This is the second week in a row I have been challenged with something music related. Is my abnormally obsessive love of music that well-known already? Not complaining at all, I love it! 

I chose the song In My Life. They lyrics are below as is a link to the song. Taking on any interpretation of a Beatles song is a daunting task. I hope I did the challenge justice. 

In My Life - The Beatles

There are places I'll remember
All my life, though some have changed
Some forever, not for better
Some have gone and some remain
All this places have their moments
With lovers and friends I still can recall
Some are dead and some are living
In my life, I've loved them all

But of all these friends and lovers
There is no one compares with you
And these memories lose their meaning
When I think of love as something new
Though I know I'll never lose affection
For people and things that went before
I know I'll often stop and think about them
In my life, I love you more

Though I know I'll never lose affection
For people and things that went before
I know I'll often stop and think about them
In my life, I love you more
In my life-- I love you more

17 comments:

  1. nice job! enjoyed it very much!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You write so well - this is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. perfect song....our minds think alike as far as music in the moment goes. Something always plays in my head/ear when I write.

    I like your voice. It's always talking about that guy/that moment/that feeling. I felt there with the girl. well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing post. But if you could pick *any* Beatles song, why didn't you choose Wild Honey Pie?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this song and you wrote such a poignant piece. Beautiful, heartbreaking, and visual. Great job. I didn't know about your musical obsession -- I have the same one, so it was meant to be! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good song choice...I must admit I was totally immersed in the story but could not help breaking out the sausages and chicken as the house burned down….was that wrong? It would have been a shame to let such a good fire go to waste….

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of my all time favorite songs and a beautiful piece of writing-very moving! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So very heartbreakingly beautiful, my darling. That place were I once had a heart ached as I read this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved it. Heartbreaking and sad, but sweet and wistful. Good work. I am going to pony back up to the challenges again soon, promise.

    www.alotoflayers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're not supposed to bring a tear to my eye, you're just NOT. I am honored to read this post. Tremendous work, my dear.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Melissa, OT, and Kerri: Thank you for your feedback, I am glad you enjoyed it!

    @Lance: I think the two us would probably have the most epic life playlists if we documented the song/thought connections every time they came to us. Kindred spirits I tell ya!

    Lost: I actually couldn't decide which song to do on my own so I let youtube decide for me. First one up was the one I based my story on. And this was it. I was glad because I love this song anyways. Very scientific I know.

    @Rachel: Thank you darling for giving me such a great II challenge to work on this week. I was quite pleased with your choice. Glad you feel I did it right in your opinion... I was nervous because you are such an amazing and talented writer, I didn't want to disappoint!

    @BlackLog: my writing is to be used in any way you wish... if it inspires BBQ's...so be it!

    @Jewels & sweet Kat: Thank you ladies for your continued support and love. You truly make my heart happy!!

    @Onion: Thanks love! I expect to see your cute little ass back in the challenge ASAP! You are much too talented to not be rocking it!

    @ET: Welcome back friend! You have been missed. And not just because you say nice things to me either...

    ReplyDelete
  12. So.Much.Win. :'| It's so moving...really awesome stuff :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lots of 'love' in the II this week I've noticed.

    You slayed your challenge though.
    There was a lot of pain mixed with hope that never came to fruit, but the ending was nice, not sure if I could have taken much more emotion.

    Extremely well written!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I realized I could love again.

    Nicely done! Painful, powerful, and, still, nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Dili: thanks so much for the comment, much appreciated! I enjoyed your challenge piece this week as well

    @Stefan: Wow, thanks! Sorry if I made you get all emotional and stuff.... sometimes I just have to go there. You getting back in it next week?? huh? huh? are you??

    @Jason: Glad you stopped by RG to check it out. I appreciate the feedback.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That piece left me with the chills... and a broken heart. Well done!

    ReplyDelete

I like attention, so give me some please!